• slide

Australian Timeshare Industry Statistics

In Australia

The timeshare industry provides significant regional and community economic development throughout Australia.

Key Industry Statistics

An overview of headline timeshare industry statistics, and comparisons to relevant Australian tourism statistics, is provided below:

There were approximately 178,000 owners of timeshare in Australia in 2016.

Approximately 70% of owners surveyed indicated they were either very satisfied or satisfied with their timeshare purchase.

Resorts

There were a total of 99 timeshare resorts in Australia in December 2016, with 3,442 timeshare units, predominantly located in Queensland, New South Wales, and Victoria. Around 52% of the units are 2-bedroom units, with 27% 1-bedroom units.

There were approximately 1,208,480 nights available at timeshare units in Australia in 2016, of which 1,095,774 were occupied, equating to an occupancy rate of 90.7%. (AEC, 2013). Considerably higher than the 72.5% occupancy rate across all hotels and resorts in Australia in 2016 (ABS, 2016a).

Employees

There were an estimated 1,547 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees of timeshare sales, marketing, exchange, and resort companies in Australia in 2016. These employees were paid an estimated $155.2 million in wages, salaries, and commissions in 2016.

HOLIDAY OWNERSHIP USE

Approximately 13% of timeshare owners used their timeshare to book non-resort related services and/or activities in 2016. Of these owners:

  • 38% used their timeshare to book a yacht or cruise.
  • 36% used their timeshare to book alternative accommodation.
  • 20% used their timeshare to book tour(s).
  • 38% used their timeshare to book airfares, motor vehicles, entertainment, travel insurance, motor home hire and other purposes

In 2016, just over a third (34%) of timeshare owners’ most recent timeshare holiday, short break, or trip away for leisure in Australia was at the timeshare they own, with the other 66% using their entitlement to stay at an alternative timeshare resort or for non-resort-related services/ activities.

A total of $293.6 million was spent by guests/owners while holidaying using timeshare in Australia in 2016, with an average expenditure of $2,321 per travel party per trip. This represented an increase in total guest/owner expenditure whilst holidaying using timeshare of 39% compared to 2012. By comparison, total tourist expenditure in Australia increased by 23% between 2012 and 2016, from $87 billion to $106.9 billion (TRA, 2017a and 2017b).

AECGroup 2016 Economic Impact Study

Economic Contribution of the Australian Timeshare Industry, 2016

Impact

Output ($M)

Employment (FTE)

Salaries, Wages and Related Income ($M)

Gross Domestic Product ($M)

Direct

$692.5

2,778

$229.1

$340.0

Indirect

$532.8

1,595

$137.2

$259.3

Total

$1,225.3

4,373

$366.3

$599.3

Source: ABS(2016b), AEC (unpublished1), AEC (unpublished2), AEC (unpublished3), AEC (unpublished4)

Globally

Timeshare is the fastest growing segment of the tourism and leisure industry growing at 14% annually worldwide. (World Tourism Organisation)

The entry and success of branded hospitality players such as Disney, Marriott, Sheraton, Hilton etc in timeshare has acted as a strong catalyst for growth. The market is opening in India, Asia and Eastern Europe whilst steady growth continues in the US and Western Europe.

  • 5,425 Timeshare Resorts Worldwide
  • Timeshare Resorts are located in 95 different countries
  • 6.7 million Timeshare consumers Worldwide
  • 10.7 million Timeshare weeks owned Worldwide
  • Timeshare owners reside in over 270 countries

Latest News

Interval International and Singerman Real Estate, LLC Subsidiary Enter into Long-Term, Affiliation Agreement

Interval International, a leading global provider of vacation services and an operating business of ILG (Nasdaq: ILG), and West Bay ...
read more...

Karma Group Announces Collaboration with RCI in Greece

RCI has selected Karma Group to manage its operations in the Greek market. With an established presence in Greece through ...
read more...

ANNUAL GOLD SPONSORS